Functions of the Unit:
The main duties of the unit are:-
- To establish and maintain effective communication between departments in the hospital as well as groups and institutions outside.
- To assist in promoting the corporate image of the hospital to the public.
- To foster cordial relationship between the hospital and the community.
- Senior Staff 12
- Junior Staff 11
The hospital has over 40 Notice Boards within and outside departments for the dissemination of information. The Hospital monthly publication AKTH Newsflash continues to keep abreast of happening to staff in the hospital. Pictures of events within and outside the hospital were displayed in the show glass at the Administrative Block.
The year 2010 was remarkable this follow the series of activities organized in Hospital which attracted media coverage within and outside Kano. The unit continued to maintain the cordial relation existing between the Hospital and Journalists as well as the media within and outside the state. Reporters from different media came to the Hospital routinely for Public Health News and Information. Our Hausa Public Health Enlightenment Program with Radio Feedom (AIKIN LIKITA) continued to be on air every Sunday between 9:00am to 10:00am The unit also commenced presentation of a similar program at NTA Kano tiled KIWON LAFIYA. Our Quarterly AKTH NEWS Magazine (now produced biannually) continued to circulate to sister Hospitals, Medical Centres, Institutions, Media, Libraries and Organizations.
The unit continues to received and accommodates the Hospital guests.
- The Honourable Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuche Chukwu paid a familiarization visit to the Hospital,
- The President Dr. Jonathan Ebele Goodluck visited the Hospital for the commissioning of VAMED project.
The information Centre has continued to assist Patients to access services in the Hospital.
The Hospital Radio has been stable now following the recruitment of a competent radio announcer. However, the need to link the radio room with phases II and III buildings of the hospital is still on the drawing board.
Eight (8) new mobile lines namely:-
Starcoms, Glo and MTN were purchase and programmed into the new machine for direct communication with the Hospital.
Public Relations Officer II attached to the Annex of the Public Relations was sponsored to a Workshop organized by Nigerian Institute of Public Relations, held in Abuja.
- Our staff still lacks office accommodation. The Chief Public Relations Officer have been squatting with two other Public Relations Officers II and many free reader who come daily to glance through news papers in a small office. There is need for a better office for the officer so that the two Public Relations Officers will be comfortable.
- The Radio facility needs to be extended to phases II and III of the Hospital for holistic dissemination of information. Communication through Radio is faster, effective and more economical.
- The television sets in the Hospital service areas and wards need to be network so that DVD on Public Health enlightenment could be played instead of Western movies shown throughout the day.